What to expect on your visit
Before your dogs visit:
- A Veterinary surgeon will sign a consent leaflet or referral form online and return to us for treatment
- We will contact you to discuss hydrotherapy treatment and book an initial consultation with your pet and answer any questions.
- You may want to read more information about us or about canine hydrotherapy, using this website, our facebook page, or www.narch.org.uk
- No meals for 1 hour before.
- Let your pet toilet before coming to centre
- Bring along a towel and a dog coat/jumper or similar to keep your dog warm on the journey home from treatment.
- You can bring a toy or treat that your dog favours to help when acquainting them with the treadmill.
- Please bring a mask for yourself and follow the covid 19 safety guidelines at the centre.
- Leave yourself an hour for this appointment, as within our assessment we will cover; the condition your dog is being referred for, history relevant to hydrotherapy, current medications, home routines & diets, full body assessment and movement assessment. We will then discuss a suitable treatment plan, tailored for your dogs’ recovery.
- Your dog will then be introduced to the underwater treadmill and you will have a 30 minute session (see "During your session").
During your dogs’ sessions:
- Bring a towel for drying after sessions
- Bring a dog coat for post session (optional but advisable)
- You and your dog are given 30 minutes to a session, however not all of this time will be working in the treadmill.
- Your dog is showered down before entering the water treadmill to removed dirt from the coat and warm up the muscles.
- Treatment in the treadmill- times will vary dependant on stamina, point of recovery, age etc. However all patients will walk for 4 sets of time.
- Treatment consists of exercising for 4 set times with periods of rest in between. The walking times may start from 30 seconds a set, increasing with each session dependent on patients’ recovery. This doesn't sound like much but would be extremely tiring for first time patients.
- We shower dogs down post treatment and dry off with a towel
- Appointments are booked for next time.
After your dogs Session:
- Keep your dog warm until they are dry
- Use a microwaveable heat bag on target areas which are discussed with you during treatment.
- Sleeping when they get home is normal; just get them up every hour or so to prevent stiffening of joints.
- No food for 1 hour post treatment
- Please monitor your dog the days following treatment, they may show changes that we will want to know at the next session. These include:
- changes in activity/ sleep patterns
- changes in toileting habits
- changes in gait (walking/running/jumping)
- changes in appetite
If your dog has vomiting or diarrhoea 24 hours before their appointment, an open wound, stitches or an ear infection , we will not be able to treat until clear.
Please give 24 hours notice for any cancellation.
Click here for a price list